These are unprecedented times for everyone. No one knows what is going to happen tomorrow, next week or next month. But the more we worry about what “might happen” the more stressful this whole situation will be.
So, let’s all rally together and put our time and energy on the things we have control over during this pandemic:
We have control over how we’re fuelling our bodies when it comes to food + liquids! Focusing on proper nutrition has several benefits: improved mood, more energy, better body composition, increased performance – the list goes on! Taking care of ourselves should be our top priority! Plus, we all have a bit more time to prepare our meals at home, so why not give it a shot!
- Make half of your plate veggies at lunch and dinner.
- Follow the Plate Method: 1/2 plate non-starchy veggie, 1/4 plate lean protein, 1/4 starch.
- Do a pantry clean out. If it’s not in the house, you can’t eat it!
- Limit consumption of processed foods.
- Stick with the perimeter of the grocery store.
- Eat 3-5 meals consistently per day.
- Decrease consumption of sugar sweetened beverages.
- Drink 50-60 ounces of water each day.
- Decrease alcohol consumption to 4 drinks per week max.
**Check out our website HERE for healthy recipes you can make at home**
Move your body daily. Exercising is one of the best mental health strategies that exists! Plus, if you’re someone who was active regularly before this pandemic, this should be a no-brainer!
- Find a workout accountability buddy and FaceTime during workouts
- Add workouts to your calendar for a visual reminder, Keep a routine.
- At a minimum get outside and walk for 30-45 minutes (following social distancing protocols, of course)!
- Start weight training. Join our online coaching program HERE & get paired with a coach who will guide you every step of the way!
We must accept that this is the “new norm.” The sooner we do that the sooner we move forward! Stress and anxiety are on the rise, and rightfully so!
- Try journaling 1x a day
- Incorporate meditation into your routine (even just a 5 min routine will help!)
- Reach out to a friend/family member for help!
Now more than ever we need to start picking up the phone and calling loved ones!
- Download Zoom or use FaceTime to keep in touch with family members and loved ones!
- Host virtual happy hours, virtual games nights, or enjoy a cup of coffee and breakfast with a loved one!
- Make sure older members of your family/friends/neighbours have what they need so they don’t need to worry about venturing outside.
- Haven’t heard from someone whom you normally hear from? Reach out!
Create and stick with a new routine at home! People need structure and things to anticipate
- Establish a set schedule for when you will wake up, work, workout, and eat then do the same for your children if they are home with you
- Shower & get dressed for the day as you normally would! How we look affects how we feel. We know it’s tempting to stay in sweatpants all day and eat ice cream for breakfast but that will only add to our psychological and immune stress.
- Save your favourite TV series for evenings and weekends for something to look forward to!
- Over time, new routines will eventually begin to feel like the new norm which will reduce our stress levels and anxiety.
It’s perfectly normal to feel distressed during these difficult times, and talking to someone about it can be helpful. In addition to speaking with loved ones, don’t hesitate to seek professional mental health support. Consider having a remote appointment with a mental health professional via telehealth.
Taking care of yourself mentally will help enhance your immune system, which is something we all need now more than ever to fight this damn virus!
If you want to chat, we’re here for you! Book a free virtual call HERE – no commitment, no sales, just a chat.