Since the beginning of this pandemic, our lives have changed. Our daily routines don’t look like what they used to, and for most of us (myself included), it’s beginning to take a toll. For most of us, fitness was our outlet, and the gym was our sacred place. It was the place we would go to where we could forget about the stress of our day and just have fun with friends.
How are we supposed to fill that void when gyms are closed? When we can’t see our friends? Heck – even going for a run or bike ride outside can be risky! We do what we have done since March 16th – we adapt!
To help you adapt to this new working-out-from-home routine, we’ve compiled our top tips to help you stay motivated & to make sure you KEEP your fitness going:
- Most of us are used to planning out our weeks in advance. We know what days we are going to attend classes at our gym & those are non-negotiable. Your fitness at home should be the same!
- Join a class if you can (you can join ours HERE). Virtual classes are a great way to stay connected to your community & to stay motivated. Your coach will know when you’re not there and you’ll get a text from your friends when you miss a workout!
- ACTION: Every Sunday, look at the week ahead & decide what days and times you will workout. Will you join a class? Or workout on your own? You decide, but plan ahead!
2. Schedule Your Workouts in Your Weekly Calendar (with reminders)
- Once you know what days and times you plan to workout, add this to your calendar. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
- Most of us are so busy that by the time we look at the clock, we realize we missed lunch or that we’ve worked overtime. Without a reminder in your calendar and an alarm set in your phone, you’re much less likely to stick to your schedule and more likely to say “yes” to doing other things during that time … only to later realize that was when you were “supposed” to workout.
- Even if you’re NOT busy right now, having a schedule is so important for maintaining a routine.
3. Pick Times That Work for YOU
- You know when you function best. Pick your workout time when you know you WILL workout, not what time you think is best based on what you read online or what people are telling you.
- If you’re not a morning person, don’t force yourself to workout in the morning just because it works for your partner or friend. If you’re used to attending evening classes at your gym, schedule your workouts in at the EXACT same times.
- You would leave work to attend class, and your workouts now shouldn’t be any different!
4. Workout with a Friend (over video)
- Support and accountability are the key to success
- Most of us know what we need to do to be fit – that’s not top secret information. But the problem is that most of us aren’t able to stick to a routine long enough on our own to see the changes and results we want. In most cases, this happens because proper support and accountability wasn’t in place.
- Whether you have a partner at home who supports you and your goals or someone you can talk to, find an accountability partner. Ask them to hop on a video call once/week with you (or more). Then, on this call, do a workout together.
- While we may not physically be with you right now, we’re still offering ongoing support and accountability – join our virtual classes HERE . The delivery may look a little different, but the outcome remains the same: ensure that YOU achieve your goals!
5. Remove Distractions
- Working out from home can be a blessing in disguise and yet a big challenge. There are so many more distractions at home that we’re not used to facing when we attend a gym. Since we cannot help you with this, it is your responsibility to create a similar environment to the one you would get in your class.
Remember that routine you’d do before coming to the gym and working out? Let’s do the EXACT same thing now!
- Have your post-workout snack
- Log-off from work
- Turn your computer off & put it away somewhere (if you’re logging into a virtual class, makes sure your work is not accessible)
- Put your phone on sleep mode (so no one can interrupt your workout)
- Pick a good playlist & get moving!
- You wouldn’t let a phone call or email distract you while in your class, so don’t let it do the same now! Your workout is still YOUR workout.
6. Put Your Favourite Tunes On
- We all know some of you don’t love your coaches workout music selection. So, take this rare opportunity to pick the music you want to listen to! If you don’t have Spotify Premium, check out Sound Cloud (no one needs ads messing with their mojo).
- If you have to workout when your partner is sleeping or working, put some blue tooth headphones in!
7. HAVE FUN!
- This is – and always will be – our #1 rule with any class or workout. Because what’s the point of doing something if you’re not having fun?
- We know that our current situation is NOT ideal, but we’re all in this together, and it will pass. So, let’s all continue to make the most of it, so we can look back on this in a few years and remember it for a time of growth, opportunity and perseverance.
If you’re going outside for your fitness, remember to socially distance yourself from others & be aware of people passing by (moist-breathers)
Now is the perfect time to make a change: we have less distractions, less commute time, less expenses & less temptations. Don’t let COVID take control of your life any longer.
Take action today & set yourself up for success in the weeks, months and years to come!
We’re here to help!
Join our online fitness and nutrition community HERE & get set up for SUCCESS!
Questions? Email us HERE & let’s chat!