Although the CrossFit Open has traditionally been referred to as the first step towards qualifying for the CrossFit games, it has grown and developed into so much more. The Open is not only a stepping stone for those looking to compete on the worldwide stage, it has morphed into a worldwide event aimed at making everyone fitter, strengthening communities and having fun!
- The Open is the largest CrossFit community event of the year. Every year hundreds of thousands of athletes come together to test their fitness and exercise race with their friends!
- It is a 5-week, 5-workout competition. This year, the first workout will be released on Feb. 22, 2018 and the final scores will be accepted March 26, 2018.
- Workouts are released on Thursday and athletes have until Monday to submit their scores. You are free to do the workouts as many times as you want (but are not obligated to at all), and then post your top score.
- Athletes will complete the workout with a judge (more on this below) and post their scores online. This will rank athletes against everyone else signed up, in our region and across the world – how cool!! Don’t worry, we will take care of organizing the heats and the judges, so all you have to do is show up! More details on this to come.
- There are RX and scaled options for every workout, so you can choose which workouts you would like to complete RX and which you would like to do scaled. This can be decided after the workout is released. If you want to improve your score, traditionally, 1 rep RX has been worth more than a killer scaled score, BUT, you’re free to decide what you want to do!
- Workouts are typically short and intense. The movements span a wide spectrum, including high skill gymnastics movements, monostructural pieces, barbell cycling and pure grunt work. Some workouts are short, some are longer, you’ll like some and you’ll hate some. BUT, you will take away something from each workout, you’ll be a better, fitter and smarter athlete because of it.
In addition to all the statistical reasons, there are a number of other reasons everyone should sign up for the open. This event is NOT reserved for experienced or competitive athletes. It truly is accessible for EVERYONE – all age, skill and experience levels are encouraged to participate and are guaranteed to have a good time! The Open brings communities together, fosters new friendships, strengthens current ones, gives athletes newfound confidence and showcases athlete’s hard work. The Open is not just about “getting a workout in”, its fun, supportive, intense, and all in a friendly environment. Athletes PR, they do things they never thought they could and they walk away feeling empowered and #swole, obviously.
At 6S, the CrossFit Open is not only about exercise racing, there’s a social aspect to it as well. When all is said and done, we celebrate being done and celebrate each other’s accomplishments. We hangout, laugh & bond over “post-workout feels” with beer and food.
1. Re-testing Past Open Workouts
- To mimic the conditions of the Open, every Friday, beginning the week of Jan. 15 and up until the week before the Open (Feb. 12), we will program a past CrossFit Open workout.
- Workouts will be performed in heats and your partner will act as your judge to make sure you are familiar with the required movement standards.
- Scaling options will be available for all workouts!
2. 4-week Gymnastics Workshop Series
- Every Sunday from 2-4pm at the gym from Jan.28-Feb. 18
- Workshop topics include: Basic Movement + Positioning, Pull-ups, Handstand Push-ups, Muscle Ups
- These 2h workshops will be taught by coach Julia and coach Grace
- Full details + registration will open next week – stay tuned!
You definitely do NOT want to miss out! Registration is $20 USD and is NOW OPEN (register here)! Make sure you select “CrossFit 6S” as your affiliate!
What are you waiting for?!