Our dietitians have put together some of their favourite high-protein snacks, all under 300 kcal (for those of you that are interested)! In most cases, these snacks require minimal preparation, are small and easy to bring with you out of the house & are delicious! There’s something for everyone!
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 2/3 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt with 2tbsp chopped nuts or seeds + ½ cup berries
- 1/2 cup of cottage cheese or 2/3 cup Greek yogurt w/cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa + stevia (zero calorie natural sweetener available at health food stores) topped with 1tbsp nut butter
- 1tbsp nut butter in a protein shake made with 1 cup low fat milk, 2/3 cup Greek Yogurt, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, Splenda and ice
- 3-4oz chicken/turkey breast wrapped in lettuce w/mustard and avocado
- Protein bar like Power Crunch, Simply Protein, Daryl Bar, Think Bar, ONE bar, Quest bar, Grenade Bar, Iron Vegan, Rx Bar
- 3-4tbsp hummus with 1 small pita bread & vegetable sticks
- 1tbsp peanut butter OR 2tbsp PB2 on a medium apple
- Light cheese strings, Light Laughing Cow Cheese or Light Babybel cheese with vegetable sticks and 10 whole grain crackers
- 2-3 cups air popped popcorn with light cheese
- Small baked potato with plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese & salsa
- One 6-inch flour or corn tortilla with 1/3 cup black beans and 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
- Quick-to-fix salad: 2 cups mixed greens with ½ cup mandarin oranges, 1 tablespoon sliced almonds and 1tbsp balsamic vinegar. Optional top with tuna salad or chopped hard-boiled eggs
- Mini-sandwich: Whole-grain dinner roll with 3 slice deli turkey and mustard
- Veggie pizzas: Split whole wheat or gluten-free English muffin. Top with 1 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese, 1-2tbsp tomato sauce, ½ cup diced fresh veggies and light mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 larger size snack crackers topped with tuna or chicken salad
- 1 slice whole grain toast topped with ¼ avocado + 1 egg
- 1tbsp peanut butter or 2tbsp PB2 on celery sticks
- Chia pudding with 3tbsp chia seeds + 1 scoop protein powder + 1 cup almond milk + stevia + vanilla + optional cocoa powder
You’ll find that these types of quick snacks can be hard to find, which is why it is always better to plan ahead!
Have good healthy snack ideas?
Comment below and share!