One thing I’ve noticed whenever I look for speedy breakfast ideas is that I always wind up with a lot of toast recipes on my hands. It makes sense if you think about it: Toast is almost always going to come together quickly (I mean, it is just toasted bread with stuff on top, after all). And, provided you’re using sprouted grain, minimally processed or gluten-free bread or an alternative to bread like sliced sweet potatoes as the base, it can be a great healthy option, too. But, how boring is it to always have butter or peanut butter on toast? Not only does it lose it’s novelty, but you’re missing out on a key macronutrient – protein!
Read below for a list of some of our favourite protein-packed toppings to put on your toast!
TOAST COMBINATION IDEAS
- Mashed or sliced avocado toast with egg OR hemp seed
- Egg salad
- Hard-boiled egg over hummus with olives and tomato slices
- Low fat ricotta with sliced pear + slivered almonds
- Smoked salmon, low fat cream cheese, sliced cucumber and capers
- Cottage cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes and green onion
- Sauteed greens with salt and pepper topped with poached or fried egg
- Prosciutto with apple & goat cheese
- Ham & cheese
- Halloumi & fresh herbs
- Hummus, green onion and arugula
- Protein-enriched nut butter (Like MegaNut) + fresh berries
- Dry curd cottage cheese + berries